Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Nakashibetsu

This was my fourth visit to Nakashibetsu, my favorite place in Japan. I go there because the Yorozu family (more about them later) kindly host me and also because of the laid back atmosphere which is ideal for relaxation.

Nakashibetsu has a population of 25,000, which is large for Hokkaido, and is situated in the north-east of the island. It is a farming town, surrounded by lush forests, rivers and streams, and pastureland. It also has a small airport with three daily flights from Sapporo and one from Tokyo. Unlike many places in Hokkaido, the population of Nakashibetsu is expanding, though slowly.

On my first visit to Hokkaido, I drove from Sapporo to Nakashibetsu. Although it was an interesting experience, I wouldn't repeat it, for two reasons: not all of Hokkaido is served by highways, so, with many detours onto smaller roads, one is bound to get lost. Secondly, the weather can change swiftly, and if it turns rainy or foggy, driving could become dangerous. So, I took the train last time (one of the most enjoyable train journeys I've made), and I have flown twice. The flight takes only 40 minutes from Sapporo.








Mid-August is probably the best time to visit because the annual Summer Festival is held during this period. The town comes alive with music, dance, lanterns, fancy dress parades, a tug-of war and lots of food and drink.


Nakashibetsu is not far from the ocean so the seafood is fresh and plentiful. The milk comes from the surrounding farms so the ice cream is the creamiest. The rivers have salmon so I can enjoy all the salmon I want.

Hokkaido crab


The sky is as blue as it can be, and the grass so green it hurts the eyes










No comments:

Post a Comment