Saturday, August 30, 2008

Patrick Ng

When I first moved to the Pak Tam Chung area of Sai Kung in 2000, I used to walk more often in the Country Park. A regular stop during these walks was the small Sheung Yiu Folk Museum, where I would meet Patrick, the museum keeper. There were few visitors, so we had time to chat. Patrick had been an English major at the University of Hong Kong (I am not sure if he graduated) and told me that he once won first prize at a short story competition conducted by the South China Morning Post newspaper. Patrick would talk about the history of the area and once took me to nearby abandoned villages and grave sites. Naturally, we came to know some personal details about each other.

Patrick was single and lived with his elderly mother some distance from Sai Kung. He had never used a computer and I am not sure if he could type. He wasn't the typical civil servant, instead going out of his way to welcome visitors. With an assistant, he did his best to keep the museum clean. One day, he told me that a "control freak"supervisor was at his heels, complaining that he wasn't up to his job. He said that both his job and his pension were threatened. So, a friend and I wrote to the authorities praising Patrick for the fine job that he was doing. We pulled a little rank, stating that we were teachers at local universities.

Patrick wrote to me and I reproduce the letter below because he makes interesting references to my appearance! Along with the letter, he sent me a (handwritten) poem that he had composed titled "A Ballad of Pak Tam Chung" and I have typed it into the next entry. Patrick told me that the letters we wrote saved his job, and I am so glad I could do this small favour to a simple, unassuming man who asked for so little and was doing the best at his job.

I haven't seen Patrick during my recent visits and when I do, I'll get his photo.

Meanwhile, here's his letter:

11 Feb 2004

Dear Professor George,

On Monday (9th) my boss brought me the photocopies of both your recommendation letter and the one written by Dr. Miho Yorozu. They came as very warm and encouraging affirmations. I remember that morning as a very fine and sunny, bright day after one of the severest and longest cold spells in HK since records began. I am deeply indebted.

Enclosed overleaf please find my rendition of the lore of Pak Tam Chung, possible for your amusement, as well as that of anyone who might be interested.

Your surname, Braine, I often confuse with the name of the famous American magician David Blaine, because to my mind, making your acquaintance has looked like "stranger than fiction". You have a bulbous forehead, and this prominent brain looks like that of Arthur C. Clarke, another egghead, pundit and resident of Sri Lanka.

. . .



Sheung Yiu Folk Museum

No comments:

Post a Comment