Wednesday, June 3, 2009

A working holiday in Tokyo

Although I have been to Japan about ten times, I have stayed away from Tokyo mainly because large cities don't appeal to me. But, now that my old friend Govindan resides there, I was waiting for an opportunity for a visit. It came in the form of an invitation from Temple University, Japan, to review their Masters' and doctoral program in TESOL. My visit coincided with the marriage reception of Miho's nephew Shingo, so I would get to see her family again.

The reception was at the Hyatt, and, this being the wedding season (I presume), there were eight other receptions going on at the hotel. It was a fairly elaborate ceremony, but not as lengthy nor elaborate as a wedding reception I attended in Hong Kong last year. The bride changed her outfit only once, compared to four times in Hong Kong! Plus, there was no roasted suckling pig at each table, much to my relief.

Lots of ceremonial kimonos, much to my delight, and all the men wore formal suits. The cuisine was French. Much drinking, and to my disappointment, many guests smoked.



Miho's family. Her parents are in the center. Sister Yuko and niece Saiko are on the left. Saiko is a nurse in Nakashibetsu.


Miho's younger niece Shoko is on the right. She's a medical student in Hokkaido.

The happy couple, Shingo and Kayako. They met at work.


The couple went around to each table lighting candles. They are seen with the groom's dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment