Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Construction at "Pondside"

With my retirement looming and the possibility of spending more time in Sri Lanka, the idea came to me in August that "Pondside" needed some expansion. So I thought of expanding one of the 12' X 12' bedrooms in to 18' X 24", expanding the small kitchen, and adding another toilet.

When I talked to my cousin Krisantha, who is a master carpenter and also undertakes small-scale construction jobs, he offhandedly quoted Rs. 1.5 million (about US$15,000) for the project. At that time, I laughed it off because it seemed hideously exaggerated. In 1997, when a new house was built at "Pondside" along with fencing and a bund along the pond, the entire cost was only Rs. 800,000.



View from the front. The existing house is to the right.


View of the extended kitchen. The new toilet is to the right.



The expanded bedroom. It extends towards the pond.

But, as I have written before, I am one of the less affluent people in Boralessa village. Many villagers live and work in Italy and they visit the village about once a year to throw their money around to have small palaces built. The masons, carpenters, and electricians pander to their whims and fancies and these constructions cost enormous sums. So, in some ways, I am a victim of the affluence.

To be fair, all building materials have skyrocketed in price. Cement, sand, bricks, and granite are unimaginably expensive now.

As the photos show, the work is proceeding on schedule but the cost is also rising. Soon, the Rs. 15M mark will be met. By how much will the original estimate be exceeded? I am keeping my fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment