Tuesday, June 8, 2010

"Grad School - Some People Never Learn"

Matt Groening, the creator of "The Simpsons", is also a renowned cartoonist. In 1987, when I was in graduate school, he published a series of cartoons titled School is Hell. I kept a copy and later shared it with my own graduate students and post it here for posterity.

My favorites here are the True/False test titled "Should you go to Grad school" and "The 5 secrets of grad school success".


Groening calls the grad school drop out the "bitterest person" in the world. In the USA, the label is ABD ("all but dissertation"). Unfortunately, a number of my classmates from the University of Texas at Austin belong to this category. But, in Hong Kong, all my supervisees graduated, except for a serial plagiarist who was forced to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment