Friday, November 4, 2011

Headline News: Wong Chuk Yeung village

I thought Wong Chuk Yeung village was too remote to be in the news till I opened the South China Morning Post on November 4 and the front page banner headline jumped at me:  


Villagers profit in secret land deals

Indigenous residents sign away small housing rights in exchange for HK$500,000 or a new flat at the site, which helps developers avoid rezoning and premiums



According to the article, the villagers, including some who live in Britain, are colluding with a developer to sell off their houses and lands in return for HK$500,000 or a flat on the site. The developer may end up with more than 100 houses on the site.


In a previous blog entry dated April 10, I mentioned rumors of such activities. I revisited that entry today and found that two former villagers had left comments. Here's the link:


http://grassformyfeet.blogspot.com/2011/04/return-to-wong-chuk-yeung.html


Going by the comments, a couple of villagers may not have sold out yet.


Meanwhile, the last survivor of the village is clinging on.  Now that cooler weather has arrived, he will not tire on his walks down to town and back to the village. I have seen him taking a taxi some mornings, and once he was being driven down in a private car. (The developer "taking care" of him? A couple of months ago, I gave him a ride from Sai Kung town to the village. When he was getting off the car, I extended my hand and said "George". He responded with "Georgie". Pointing to himself, he muttered "Li". 

No comments:

Post a Comment