Monday, August 12, 2019

Pondside trees



Kumbuk - Terminalia arjuna
"Pondside", the ancestral property which is my only home in Sri Lanka after the Hantana
property was sold, is home to a many trees. The most majestic, the King of them all, is the kumbuk tree that stands to the front of the property, next to the pond. This tree is easily over one hundred years old, and I have known it for 60 years. It's more than 100 feet tall, and has a beautiful canopy which perhaps covers about 500 square feet.

Kumbuk grows near water, and is said to purify the water and cool it, too. On a hot day, the coolest place at Pondside is under the kumbuk tree. 

Villagers tell me that it's the only kumbuk tree in the village. I am not sure if this is true, but I am fairly sure it's the oldest.

The bark is medicinal and is used to treat heart disease.
The beautiful shady canopy of the kumbuk


Looking back from the kumbuk towards the pond

My neighbor not only filled up his share of the pond, but has now installed this high fence. 

The largest madan (Syzygium cumini) tree 
I have a number of these trees in my garden. They are lovely trees, with a canopy of bright green leaves. The bright blue berries are tasty, and attract birds. The berries and bark are used in the treatment of diabetes.

In addition to about 90 coconut trees, both young and old, Pondside also has two large jak trees, about 10 mango trees, as many cashew trees, a couple of bakmee (Nauclea orientalis) near the pond, and a number of other trees. The two breadfruit trees died in the severe drought that hot the area three years ago, but two replacement saplings that I planted are coming up. I have also planted more than 50 katu anoda (prickly custard apple) which should bear fruit soon.

The view from my verandah looking towards the front gate

The frangipani trees shed their flowers in the night, and my front yard is strewn with lovely, perfumed flowers.



No comments:

Post a Comment