Thursday, May 5, 2011

Three Years of Blogging

I began blogging on this day three years ago. I was getting tired of the dry "academic" writing which was part of my work, tired of reading and grading dull student papers, and in need of a place to store my reminiscences which were coming out with advancing age. I also began reading Ranjit Hulugalle's marvellous blog "From dream into reality" about his transformation to a gentleman farmer in Sri Lanka, and that was my inspiration.

I stated my aims for the blog as a site to "recall my childhood memories, reflect upon on my experiences in Sri Lanka and elsewhere, describe other interesting phenomena, and express my opinions on past and current events." I also said that, "for convenience, I will also archive my previous "nonacademic" writing on this site."

The transformation from academic to personal writing has not been smooth. I realize the personal writing is dry and not lively, certainly not the style I would wish for. My passionate writing would be on social and political matters, especially in Sri Lanka. But I am reluctant to do that because Sri Lanka is becoming a repressive society and I may not be allowed to enter and move about freely there if I criticized the regime too often.

The blog has more photos than text. That's because I have become lazy.

Thanks to everyone for bearing with me.

Now for some statistics.

Page views: 7,852

Most Viewed Pages

Sep 28, 2009, 5 comments
452 Pageviews
Jul 20, 2008, 1 comment
328 Pageviews
Jul 12, 2008, 4 comments
151 Pageviews
Jun 8, 2010
121 Pageviews
Jul 3, 2010
84 Pageviews

Pageviews by Countries
United States
1,809
Sri Lanka
1,261
Hong Kong
1,166
India
435
United Kingdom
353
Canada
272
Netherlands
241
Australia
238
Germany
203
Singapore
122

No comments:

Post a Comment