Monday, July 14, 2008

Nellie


Nellie & me


For a person who doesn't speak Cantonese, life in Hong Kong can sometimes be a challenge. That's why I live in Sai Kung, where most people I deal with--shopkeepers, waiters, wet market stall holders, mechanics, electricians, plumbers--are able to speak some English at the least. But I also have this challenge at the Chinese University where I teach, never with students but sometime when dealing with the lower-level bureaucrats. The labyrinth of rules and regulations that must often be overcome in order to accomplish the most mundane of task is more than a minor irritant.

Since I joined the English Department 10 years ago, the person who has helped me the most to handle the red tape is Nellie Chan, who was our clerk at the English Department till the end of April. For over 10 years, Nellie's grasp of campus regulations, and her efficiency, patience, and good humor contributed to my peace of mind. I appreciate her support during my research projects, work related to my co-editorship of the Asian Journal of English Language Teaching (AJELT), the Writing Across the Curriculum (WAC) project which I supervised, and the MA Program which I direct. Even in the case of an application for leave, reimbursement for travel and other routine matters, one phone call from Nellie to someone in the administration helped to speed matters up. Whatever the challenge, Nellie always found the solution and she did it unobtrusively, never making an issue out of any matter. I knew that she treated everyone, staff and students, alike, always finding the time for everyone with their individual needs. Seeing Nellie at the office was comforting because you knew that your problem would be at an end.

Nellie put in more than 25 years of steady, devoted service at the English Department. I was therefore shocked to learn that she was being "retired" prematurely. At the Chinese University, the staff at Nellie's level are the most vulnerable. While older professors, way past their retirement age, continue to extend their stay by hook or by crook, the supporting staff are at the mercy of their supervisors. Nellie's situation was made worse because her husband had been out of work for some time and she has a 16 year old son to support.

So I contacted my friends at Shue Yan University, Prof. K.Y. Wong and Dr. Josephine Yam, and thanks to their support, Nellie is now at the English Department at Shue Yan. I know that she'll be an asset to them, bringing all her experience to the benefit of Shue Yan staff and students.

Thank you, Nellie, for making my life at the Chinese University easier. You told me you are happy at Shue Yan, and I am glad. I know your friends at the Chinese University will join me in wishing you many more years of happiness at your new job.

No comments:

Post a Comment