Saturday, June 7, 2008

After the Storm

Hong Kong had about 200mm of rain this morning (Saturday June 7, 2008). After the storm, Fawzia and I walked into the nearby Sai Kung Country Park.



On other days, as we approach this bridge which is about 500 meters from the entrance to the park, all we hear is the twittering of birds and the occasional car or bus. Today, we heard the roar of water underneath. The placid stream had turned into a raging river. The current was swift and dangerous. Water caught in the rocks swirled up into a wave. We stood in awe!


The river seen upstream from the bridge.


Swirling water.


Downstream from the bridge.



Then we walked back towards the entrance to the park and turned left just after passing Fat Kee Store. The store serves hot and cold drinks, beer, and light meals to visitors. The store owner was by himself, enjoying some noodles while listening to the radio. He knows me because I've been walking past his store for 8 years now. During the SARS crisis, when hardly anyone went walking in the park, I did, and I always stopped at the store for an ice cream, a soft drink, or a beer. I wanted to support him, in my small way, because he was struggling to keep his business going.




As we turned left, passing the above sign, we came across the foot bridge leading to the above villages. Two of the villages are uninhabited. (I've written before on these villages and shall return to the topic again.)

The footbridge.

Looking upstream from the footbridge.

The "drowning" sign. Previously, I hadn't taken this seriously because the water level was usually low. Dog owners used to bathe their pets here. But the water looked menacing today.


Approaching the shrine under the tree.

Banana leaves shredded by the storm.

A warning sign.

Fawzia by a gushing stream on the path.

The flooded path.

The pier almost covered with water. On most days, we would walk to the end of the pier
and the water level would be a few feet below.

Clover Lodge, where I live, seen from the pier.


The entrance to the Folk Museum. It was deserted and a sorry sight, damp with rain.



We walked into the museum, hoping for a chat with my old friend Patrick, the museum keeper. But Patrick was off today and only the security guard Betty was to be seen. She's unlikely to see any visitors on this stormy day.



2 comments:

  1. This is a good piece of news report, telling us how it is like in Sai Kung after the heavy rainfall on Saturday! Lots of great pictures taken (I especially like the one showing where you live - the reflection onto the water surface is great)!


    Emily Lui

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uncle ..... do you know that every time there is a major flood I have been out of Hong Kong ... and I have been in and out for 18 years ......arghhh I always want to see one :P

    ReplyDelete