Friday, June 13, 2008

Victor Ratnayake

In the 1940's and 50's, the Sri Lankan music scene was dominated by musicians who were strongly influenced by Hindi music. Hindi movies were popular and music directors copied the tunes, and lyricists simply inserted Sinhala words to match the music. Vocalists like Rukmani Devi, Lata and Dharmadasa Walpola, Mohideen Baig, and GSB Rani come to mind. More traditional musicians such as Sunil Shantha and Ananada Samarakoon, although popular, were often not heard on radio.

In the 1960's, with the reawakening of nationalism, the classical Sinhala music of Amaradeva and Nanda Malani gained popularity as a reaction to the music of the previous decades. Although Amaradeva had been trained in India, he managed to capture the essence of local thoughts and feelings, and was backed by Sinhala musicians with traditional local instruments.

Then, in the mid 1960's, like a cooling breeze, came Victor Ratnayake's melodious music, not classical but nevertheless very Sinhala. Trained locally, Victor captured the feelings and longings of young people with a judicious blending of Western and Oriental music, and simple yet heartwarming lyrics. I was in secondary school at that time, and I remember vividly his popularity among my classmates. Remarkably, Victor composed the music for nealrly all his songs, and this probably enabled him to sing with feelings that few other vocalists could match.

In the 1970's, Victor began a one-man show titled "Sa", and it soon became a hit in Sri Lanka. Over the years, it has been performed nearly 1,500 times to popular acclaim. "Sa" is in great demand in the Sri Lankan diaspora as well , in North America, Europe, and Australia.

As I left Sri Lanka to live and work abroad--in the Middle East, the USA, and Hong Kong--Victor's music travelled with me. Although I am not a Buddhist, his songs in praise of Lord Buddha and Buddhism were close to my own philosophy in life. Being close to my mother and missing her deeply because I lived away from her, Victor's "Aadaraye ulpatha", sung in praise of motherhood, became my favorite song. As I drove hundreds of miles between Alabama, Texas and Arkansas, Victor accompanied me on tape and on CD. He was a link to my birthplace, to my family, and the lifestyle and culture that I missed.


Victor on his 2006 visit with Fawzia and me

Then, in 2006, Victor came to Hong Kong for a concert along with other musicians. When I told Victor that I had been a fan for more than 40 years, he was surprised and happy. Surprised because I am not Sinhalese yet appreciated Sinhala music. Despite his fame and popularity (he has millions of fans all over the world), I found Victor to be an unassuming man with simple tastes. He lived up to the impression he had created through his music. I invited him to return to Hong Kong for "Sa" .

After much preparation and with the support of sponsors and Sri Lankan Airlines, "Sa" was conducted in Hong Kong on March 23. Victor was accompanied by a tablarist, a guitarist, a flutist, an organist, and a sitarist. Details of the concert and photos can be seen at http://ihome.ust.hk/~channa/Sa.htm, which was set up by my friend Channa Withana.

Victor with Channa Withana, Nirosha, and baby Chanuka at my house, March 2008

Victor stayed with us in Sai Kung during his visit. They were four delightful days, chatting, sharing meals, listening to music, and visiting nearby Sai Kung town. Widely read and traveled, Victor entertained us with stories of the Sri Lankan diaspora and other musicians he has known. To him, the ongoing conflict in Sri Lanka was a deep concern. I learned that Victor's favorite Western musician was Jim Reeves, one of my favorite musicians, too.

Victor and Fawzia shopping in Sai Kung

Since his wife passed away a few years ago, Victor lives alone, looked after by his daugter Chandani and other children. I will be seeing Victor when I visit Sri Lanka later this month. We are planning a trip to Dambulla.

Victor at my house in Sai Kung

1 comment:

  1. If a couple of words could sum up the contribution & achievement of Victor Ratnayake, perhaps it could be "Eternal Melodies"
    We love his music & we love the man too for bringing Sinhalese music to all of us Sinhalese. If his appearance in Sinhalese music has been a milestone, his contribution has been a river deep & wide.
    Victor Ratnayake's most famous melody "Pave Wala'(Drifting clouds)was said to have been composed during a train journey from Colombo to Bandarawela. http://www.mysrilankaholidays.com/bandarawela.html

    ReplyDelete