Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Travels with Beaula

My sister Beaula was visiting Sri Lanka after a 7 year absence, and Fawzia and I traveled with her to Boralessa, Colombo, and Kandy. One of the first trips was to visit her mother-in-law, who was widowed a couple of years ago. Then we visited the General Cemetery in Colombo where my mother is buried. This was an emotional moment for Beaula because my mother passed away while Beuala was in the USA. My mother, Adline Fernie Beatrice Fernando, was 84 when she died after suffering bilateral strokes and being bedridden for two years. Mother worked as a midwife, serving the poor people of Sri Lanka in rural areas.


Mother is buried in the same grave where her father was laid to rest in 1969.


Beaula and I at mother's grave at the General Cemetery in Colombo.


At my brother Roy's grave. He died of cancer at the age of 12 in 1963. He's buried at the cemetery in Boralessa.


Beaula with her mother-in-law, Mrs. Lillian Nandisena.

No comments:

Post a Comment