Monday, January 19, 2009

A walk with Taro

I walk Taro on Sundays. We usually walk up the road which leads to the nearly deserted Wong Chuk Yeung village that I wrote about last year, high above Sai Kung town. This area, which is one the edge of Ma On Shan Country Park, hasn't had any rain in months and is therefore like a tinderbox, bone dry.



I saw a new footpath leading off the road and went to explore. About 20 meters from the road I came to five new grave sites. The New Territories has seen an explosion in the construction of "village" house, and the trend appears to be spreading to grave sites, too. The danger is not only the intrusion into protected country parks, but also that of fires, let by careless people when they visit grave sites.


A view of Sai Kung town from the new grave sites.



In fact, walking up a few hundred meters, I came across the results of a forest fire that burned up a few hectares of land about two months ago. Sai Kung Bay and some islands can be seen in the distance.



Taro has fully recovered from the attack by three village dogs. Part of his coat was shaved for treatment and it has grown back. He looks forward to these walks with me, I think!



Below is a view from Shan Liu village. The High Island Reservoir Dam can be seen in the distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment